Other Unincorporated Communities

Pass Manchac

(also known as Akers), Pass Manchac, South boundary of Tangipahoa Parish. Part of line dividing Isle of Orleans from Florida Parishes. Boundary between British West Florida and Spanish Louisiana, 1763-1783; Spanish West Florida and French Louisiana., 1803; U.S. and Spanish West Florida, 1803-1810. Manchac is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish. Pass Manchac Light is on the Historic Registry of Historical Places

Arcola

Arcola is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish. Some local residents believe that during the New Orleans yellow fever epidemic in the year 1853 several Italian families settled in the area. It is speculated that these first settlers named the village after Arcole a small comune in the province of Verona, Italy.

Baptist

Baptist is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, United States. Baptist is located on U.S. Route 190, west of Hammond.

Bedico

Bedico is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located on Highway 22, 12 miles east of Ponchatoula. There are several competing theories surrounding the origin of the name Bedico. Some have claimed that the name is derived from the Choctaw words Bihi Chito which means Big Mulberry Land in the Choctaw language. In the late 1790s a nobleman named Michael Betancourt seized 270 acres for the Baron of Carondelet which included Bedico Creek and the surrounding area. Some historians have claimed that the community is named after the Bettencourt family, of French Norman origin. A third theory claims that early Spanish Catholic missionaries named the community after the Order of Saint Benedict.

Bolivar

Bolivar is an unincorporated community in top part of Tangipahoa Parish located on Highway 22, 10 miles east from the village of Tangipahoa. Bolivar was named for the first postmaster, Bolivar Varnado

Chesbrough

Chesbrough is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 8 miles North of Amite City

Fluker

Fluker (also Hyde) is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 4 miles North of Arcola.

Greenlaw

Greenlaw is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, United States. The community is located 17 miles north of Amite City. The community is named after a local sawmill owned by Edward Runnels Greenlaw who owned and operated the Greenlaw Lumber Company

Holton

Holton is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, United States. The community is located 8 miles east of Amite City

Husser

Husser is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 8 miles east of Loranger. This area, which was once known to the Choctaw as Chappepeela, meaning “Hurricane River,” was generally the same area known as Husser today. Later named for some of its earliest and most entrepreneurial settlers, Husser extends over approximately 16 square miles.

Husser is home to two sites listed on the National Register, only one of which is open to the public. The Husser Community Center was originally constructed in 1921 and served as the Husser School for over 20 years before being closed due to consolidation. In 1946 the community organization purchased the school and two acres at highest auction bid, and transformed the school into the community Center. In 2019, after being dormant for nearly 20 years, the Husser Community Organization began soliciting funds to restore the building to its former glory, as its suffered some age and decay. In December 2020, the building was officially added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Kirkville

Kirkville is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 1 mile south of Osyka, Mississippi and 18 miles north of Amite City. As German immigrants arrived at New Orleans they settled in Osyka, Mississippi and overflowed south into Louisiana. The land across the Louisiana state line was not a part of Mississippi and could not be called Osyka. The community took the name Kirkville and is named after Lawrence Alexander Kirk, a railroad surveyor that owned a large portion of the land

Lees Landing

Lees Landing is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 7 miles east of Ponchatoula. The first settlers to claim the area was Jean Batiste Denelle and his wife Elizabeth. The family sold the land to a logger named Alexander Lea. Timber from all over Tangipahoa parish was hauled down to the property to be exported to New Orleans, Louisiana. The surrounding communities began to call the area Lea’s Landing. Later USGS maps were updated and the modern name of Lees Landing was used to describe the area.

Lewiston

Lewiston is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 15 miles north of Amite City.

Loranger

Loranger is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish, it is the location of two property listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Loranger Methodist Church (added 1982) and Zemurray Gardens Lodge Complex (added 1983). The Loranger School District is bordered by the school districts of Folsom, Amite, Independence, and Hammond.

Lorraine

Lorraine is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 15 miles west of Covington.

Osceola

Osceola is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 16 miles northwest of Covington. Ella B. Hughes wrote that in 1888 a post office was built in Husser, Louisiana and just a few years later a second post office was built a few miles to the south and was called Viola. The area was renamed Osceola just a few years later. The name of the community is derived from an ancient native american ritual dating back to the Archaic period. The Muscogee people would perform a ritual they called ássi which means black drink and yahola which means “shouting man” or “singer”. There was also a very influential leader of the Seminole people from Florida named Osceola that was given this name.

Pumpkin Center

Pumpkin Center is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located on U.S. Route 190, west of Hammond. The town is said to be named after the fictional home town of Uncle Josh from the work of comedian Cal Stewart, who was widely known for his phonograph records. The village had no name at that time and some of the young men formed a baseball team to compete with the surrounding Hammond, Springfield and Albany teams. The team members named themselves the “Pumpkin Center” baseball team. Over time the residents of the surrounding cities and villages began referring to the area as Pumpkin Center and the name stuck.

Robert

Robert is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 7 miles east of Hammond. Robert is the largest settlement in Tangipahoa Parish’s rural 8th ward.

Rosaryville

Rosaryville (also Gessen) is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 6 miles west of Ponchatoula near Springfield.

Rosaryville was purchased by the Benedictine Fathers in 1890. The Spanish Dominican Friars took over the property in 1911, christening it “Rosaryville,” as suggested by a Dominican Sister in the New Orleans Motherhouse. In 1939 Rosaryville became the novitiate and retirement home of the Dominican Sisters, Congregation of St. Mary.

Rosaryville’s mission has evolved with the needs of the time and the community. In 1946, because of the rapid growth of vocations in America, Rosaryville included a residential high school, called The Aspiranture, for those girls interested in becoming Dominican Sisters. In 1969, Camp Kateri, a youth camp, was opened to allow urban children an opportunity to enjoy and learn about the beauty of God’s creation.

Rosaryville Spirit Life Center was established in 1981. This retreat and conference center hosted adults and young people from around the nation, offering spiritual teaching, life coaching, and a welcoming place to grow spiritually, and to come to know God through the greatness and grace of the creatures God has created.

In 2014, Rosaryville became the home for Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Chapel, a historic church built in the 1940s that was relocated to the grounds from Manchac. The property is also home to two historic cemeteries: the Dominican Friars’ Cemetery and the Dominican Sisters’ Cemetery, as well as a public cemetery established in 2017

Uneedus

Uneedus is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Paris located 12 miles east of Amite City.

Velma

Velma is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located near the village of Folsom or 5 miles east of Loranger. The community’s name is derived from shortening and alteration of “You need us”, the motto of a local lumber company. A post office called Uneedus was established in 1912, and remained in operation until 1928

Wadesboro

Wadesboro is an unincorporated community in Tangipahoa Parish located 2 miles southwest of Ponchatoula. In 1812 Richard Wade, born in 1790 and his wife Mary Ann Skaggs, born in 1787, settled in the area and purchased 960 acres of land from the United States Federal Government located near the Natalbany River and Ponchatoula Creek. He was a cotton farmer and engaged in riverboat trade utilizing his river landings to export goods. In 1821 he purchased a schooner and named it the Admiral. Local court documents reveal that in 1826 Wade owned and operated a tavern in the area. Later in life he began planning the establishment of a town and named it Wadesborough

Wilmer

Wilmer is an unincorporated hamlet in the rural north of Tangipahoa Parish located 12 miles Northeast of Amite City.’

Scroll to Top